Nouveau

Le palais d'été de Pékin détruit

Le palais d'été de Pékin détruit


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Les troupes britanniques occupant Pékin, en Chine, pillent puis brûlent le Yuanmingyuan, la fabuleuse résidence d'été construite par les empereurs mandchous au XVIIIe siècle. Peu de temps après, les dirigeants chinois des Qing se sont rendus au corps expéditionnaire franco-britannique, mettant ainsi fin à la deuxième guerre de l'opium et aux espoirs chinois d'inverser le cours de la domination étrangère dans ses affaires nationales.

Dans les années 1870, l'impératrice douairière chinoise Cixi a commencé à reconstruire le palais et ses magnifiques jardins, en le renommant Yiheyuan, ou « Jardin de la bonne santé et de l'harmonie ». En 1900, pendant la rébellion des Boxers, le palais fut à nouveau incendié par les troupes occidentales, et il resta délabré jusqu'à ce que les communistes chinois le reconstruisent dans les années 1950.


Toogle Nav Toogle Nav Recueil d'histoire chinoise

Les informations contenues ici sont susceptibles d'être modifiées. Chinese History Digest n'est pas responsable en cas de changement. Vous pouvez également consulter le site officiel du parc Yuanmingyuan pour les dernières informations.

Horaires d'ouvertures

7h - 19h
(mai - août)
7h - 18h
(avril, septembre, octobre)
7h - 17h30
(janvier - mars, novembre, décembre)

Frais d'admission

Sites des palais européens :
+ 15 Yuans
Salle d'exposition: + 10 Yuans

L'ancien palais d'été était un complexe de palais et de trois jardins indépendants mais interconnectés qui étaient à l'origine connus sous le nom de jardins impériaux. À l'époque de la dynastie Qing au début du XVIIIe siècle, le parc de l'ancien palais d'été servait de jardin d'agrément privé à l'empereur et à sa famille. Plus tard, les empereurs Qing ont fait de l'ancien palais d'été la principale résidence impériale où toutes les affaires de l'État étaient traitées. La Cité Interdite au centre de Pékin n'était alors utilisée que pour des cérémonies formelles. L'ancien palais d'été et la Cité interdite ne pouvaient pas être visités par les roturiers à l'époque impériale.

Alors que la plupart des bâtiments qui se trouvaient autrefois dans l'ancien palais d'été ont été détruits à une époque tumultueuse de l'histoire (plus de détails plus loin dans cet article), les jardins existent toujours aujourd'hui, bien que leur apparence ait certainement changé au fil des siècles. Les trois jardins sont le Jardin du printemps éternel (Changchunyuan), le Jardin du printemps en fleurs (Qichunyuan) et le Jardin de la splendeur parfaite (Yuanmingyuan). Ensemble, ils couvrent une superficie d'environ 350 hectares. Yuanmingyuan est aussi le nom sous lequel l'ensemble du complexe est connu des Chinois aujourd'hui, même s'il ne s'agit techniquement que d'un des trois jardins.

L'histoire de l'ancien palais d'été a commencé avec la construction initiale des jardins en 1707. Leur expansion progressive s'est poursuivie pendant 150 ans. L'empereur Qianlong a lancé la construction de palais de style européen en 1747 dans une petite zone à l'arrière du jardin du printemps éternel. Devant le plus grand palais, le Haiyantang, se dressait le célèbre Grand Waterworks. Douze têtes d'animaux du zodiaque en bronze jetaient autrefois de l'eau à tour de rôle dans le cadre d'une fontaine d'horloge élaborée. Il y avait aussi un labyrinthe de jardins comme c'était à la mode dans les jardins des palais européens comme Versailles à cette époque. C'est cependant une idée fausse que tous les palais qui se trouvaient autrefois sur le terrain de l'ancien palais d'été étaient de style occidental. En fait, plus de 95% des bâtiments étaient de style chinois et il y avait même quelques bâtiments de style tibétain et mongol.

À leur apogée, les jardins impériaux chinois de l'ancien palais d'été étaient considérés comme le « jardin des jardins » et les Européens l'appelaient également le « Versailles de l'Est ». Représentant le summum de la conception architecturale et de l'aménagement paysager horticole, l'ancien palais d'été était une station balnéaire impériale qui dépassait autrefois de loin la splendeur du palais d'été voisin (Yiheyuan) à tous les niveaux. Des centaines de structures telles que des palais, des pavillons, des temples, des galeries et des ponts se trouvaient autrefois sur le terrain et des sites pittoresques distincts dans les jardins recréaient des paysages célèbres du sud de la Chine avec des plantes exotiques de tout le pays. À cette fin, des lacs artificiels, des ruisseaux et des étangs ont été créés à grande échelle de sorte que 40 % du jardin étaient alors recouverts de rivières et de lacs.

Les salles servaient de sorte de musée impérial, stockant et exposant des artefacts culturels, des antiquités et les plus belles œuvres d'art chinoises jamais réunies. L'une des salles qui n'existe malheureusement plus, la salle Wenyuan (salle de la profondeur littéraire), était l'une des quatre bibliothèques impériales les plus célèbres et abritait une immense collection de livres anciens précieux, y compris des œuvres littéraires et des compilations telles que la collection complète. des quatre trésors.

En octobre 1860, la quasi-totalité de la splendeur de l'ancien palais d'été fut réduite en ruines et en cendres en guise d'acte punitif par les forces alliées anglo-françaises. Les soldats ont pillé autant qu'ils pouvaient porter, y compris les douze têtes d'animaux en bronze de la fontaine du Grand Waterworks (dont certaines ont été renvoyées en Chine ces dernières années). D'innombrables œuvres d'art de valeur qui ont ensuite été volées se trouvent maintenant dans 47 musées à travers le monde. Après le pillage du palais, des milliers de soldats ont mis 3 jours pour le détruire complètement et le réduire en cendres. Selon les documents historiques, seulement 16 des plus de 100 scènes de jardin ainsi que quelques bâtiments de style chinois ont survécu à la destruction. Pour aggraver les choses, les quelques bâtiments qui ont survécu à la destruction de 1860 et ceux qui ont été restaurés ou reconstruits dans les années qui ont suivi ont tous été complètement détruits en 1900 lorsque l'Alliance des huit nations a envahi Pékin.

Les ruines de l'ancien palais d'été font maintenant partie du parc Yuanmingyuan, situé dans la partie nord du district de Haidian à Pékin. Afin d'assurer la préservation optimale des ruines historiques, la zone est devenue un site culturel clé sous la protection spéciale du district et des gouvernements municipaux. Il a été ouvert au public pour la première fois à titre expérimental en juin 1988 en tant que parc historique. Une visite du parc Yuanmingyuan vaut la peine par la beauté naturelle de son paysage de jardins et l'importance historique de ses ruines. Plus d'une douzaine de répliques de bâtiments historiques ont été construites ces dernières années et plusieurs temples ont été rénovés et reconstruits. Avec les ruines historiques et le paysage de jardins chinois reboisés, les visiteurs peuvent maintenant avoir une bonne impression de ce qui était autrefois l'un des palais les plus formidables jamais construits. Il y a aussi une salle d'exposition dans le parc dont les expositions vous aident à visualiser l'ancienne gloire de l'ancien palais d'été.

Si vous ne pouvez pas vous rendre à Pékin pour le moment mais que vous souhaitez en savoir plus, Chinese History Digest vous conseille de consulter ce site Web et de regarder cet excellent documentaire sur Yuanmingyuan.

vue sur les ruines du Grand Waterworks (Dashuifa) sur le terrain de l'ancien palais d'été

Comment se rendre au parc Yuanmingyuan à Pékin ?

Adresse: Parc Yuanmingyuan, 28 West Tsinghua Road
Quartier de Haidian, Pékin, Chine
Tél. : +86 10 6262 8501
Par avion: Aéroport de Pékin Nanyuan (NAY)
Aéroport international de Pékin (PEK)
Aéroport international de Pékin Daxing (PKX)
Par le train: Gare de Pékin, Gare du Sud de Pékin
Gare de Pékin Ouest
Station de métro: Gare de Yuanmingyuan - Métro ligne 4
Prendre la sortie B et marcher jusqu'à la porte sud du parc
Arrêt de bus: Gare de Yuanmingyuan Nanmen - Porte sud du parc - (lignes de bus : 331, 432, 438, 498, 508, 579, 594, 601, 664, Yuntong 124, ligne spéciale 18 ou 19, ligne de bus touristique 3)
Gare de Yuanmingyuan Dongmen - Porte Est du Parc - (lignes de bus : 365, 429, 432, 562, 614, 664, 681, 699, 717, 982, Yuntong 105 ou 124 ou 126, Ligne spéciale 4)
Gare de Saozying - West Gate of the Park - (lignes de bus : 333 Inner, 333 Outer, 393, 437, 438, 476, 498, 509, 534, 636, Special Line 6, Yuntong 106 ou 108 ou 114 ou 118)

Hôtels les plus proches du parc Yuanmingyuan à Pékin :

Les hôtels ci-dessous sont répertoriés en fonction de leur distance croissante par rapport au parc Yuanmingyuan à Pékin. Cliquez sur le nom de l'hôtel pour en savoir plus ou pour réserver !


Toogle Nav Toogle Nav Recueil d'histoire chinoise

Les informations contenues ici sont susceptibles d'être modifiées. Chinese History Digest n'est pas responsable en cas de changement. Vous pouvez également consulter le site officiel du Palais d'été pour les dernières informations.

Horaires d'ouvertures

Avril - Octobre :

6h30 - 18h*
* Heures d'ouverture du parc du Palais d'été, les sites pittoresques à l'intérieur sont ouverts de 8h30 à 17h00.

Novembre - Mars :

7h - 17h**
** Heures d'ouverture du parc du Palais d'été, les sites pittoresques à l'intérieur sont ouverts de 9h à 16h.

Frais d'admission

Avril - Octobre :

30 yuans
(Billet combiné : 60 yuans)

Novembre - Mars :

20 yuans
(Billet combiné : 50 yuans)

Jardin Dehe : + 5 Yuans
Tour de l'encens bouddhiste et salle de la dissipation des nuages : + 10 Yuans
Galerie Wenchang : + 20 Yuans
Rue du marché de Suzhou et salle Danning : + 10 Yuans

Le Palais d'été (Yiheyuan) est un complexe de palais, de lacs et de jardins situé dans le quartier Haidian de Pékin. À environ 15 km au nord-ouest du centre-ville, il n'est pas loin des ruines de l'ancien palais d'été. Les deux palais ont été créés comme jardins d'agrément privés pour les empereurs de la dynastie Qing et leur famille. La construction du Palais d'été a duré de 1750 à 1764 sous le règne de l'empereur Qianlong. Cependant, il était alors connu sous le nom de jardin Qingyi (jardin des ondulations claires).

Alors que l'ancien palais d'été a été complètement détruit par les troupes anglo-françaises en 1860 et l'Alliance des huit nations en 1900, la plupart des parties endommagées ou détruites dans le palais d'été pendant ces périodes tumultueuses ont été restaurées plus tard. Après l'achèvement de sa première reconstruction en 1888, le Palais d'été a été rebaptisé « Yiheyuan » et la plupart des Chinois l'appellent aujourd'hui par ce nom. Les visiteurs peuvent voir les trois caractères chinois Hanzi 頤和園 qui épellent ce nom sur le panneau au-dessus de la porte du palais oriental. Ils ont été écrits par l'empereur Guangxu lui-même.

Véritable chef-d'œuvre de la conception des jardins chinois, le Palais d'été est une attraction incontournable pour quiconque s'intéresse à l'histoire de la Chine. Inscrite au patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO depuis 1998, environ 2 millions de visiteurs par an en font l'une des attractions touristiques les plus populaires de Pékin. Environ 3 000 structures historiques se dressent sur le terrain du Palais d'été qui occupe une superficie totale de 300,59 hectares. Le paysage de cette station impériale est dominé par Longevity Hill (Wanshou Shan) et le lac Kunming. Il y a quatre zones principales à visiter : la zone de la Cour, la zone du lac Kunming et la zone avant et arrière de Longevity Hill.

La zone de la cour est située entre la porte est du palais et la côte nord-est du lac Kunming. Cette partie du Palais d'été remplissait plusieurs fonctions à la fois. Les affaires de l'État étaient traitées dans certaines salles tandis que d'autres servaient de quartiers d'habitation ou de lieux de divertissement. En entrant par la porte est du palais, les visiteurs verront d'abord la salle de la bienveillance et de la longévité (Renshoudian). Lorsqu'ils étaient présents, les empereurs Qing géraient les affaires de l'État à partir de là. Au nord se trouve le Jardin de la Vertu et de l'Harmonie (Jardin Dehe). Il servait de lieu de divertissement où l'impératrice douairière Cixi assistait à des représentations d'opéra de Pékin sur la scène du Grand Théâtre. La salle des ondulations de jade (Yulantang), la salle de la longévité joyeuse (Leshoutang) et la maison Yiyun étaient autrefois les résidences respectives de l'empereur Guangxu, de l'impératrice douairière Cixi et de l'impératrice Longyu (l'épouse de l'empereur Guangxu).

La région du lac de Kunming est la plus grande des différentes zones du Palais d'été et les attractions tout autour sont bien trop nombreuses pour être comptées. L'un des plus célèbres d'entre eux est le bateau de marbre où l'impératrice douairière Cixi avait l'habitude de profiter du magnifique paysage du lac tout en prenant le thé. Il se trouve dans le coin nord-ouest du lac et est la seule structure de style occidental du Palais d'été. Pour les Chinois, il est également devenu un symbole de la corruption à la fin de la dynastie Qing. En effet, Cixi a financé sa reconstruction en 1893 (sa version antérieure avec un pavillon en bois a été incendiée par les troupes anglo-françaises en 1860) avec des fonds destinés à être utilisés pour moderniser la flotte de la marine Qing.

Les trois petites îles qui parsèment le lac artificiel de Kunming sont l'île de Nanhu (île du lac du Sud), l'île de Zaojiantang et l'île de Zhijingge. L'île de Nanhu est la plus grande d'entre elles où vous trouverez plusieurs salles, pavillons et temples. Il peut être atteint en traversant le célèbre pont aux dix-sept arches (Shiqikong Qiao) d'où vous aurez la meilleure vue sur la colline de la longévité au nord. Après avoir visité l'île, vous pouvez marcher vers Longevity Hill le long du côté est du lac Kunming. La galerie Wenchang, située juste à côté de la tour Wenchang, vaut vraiment le détour. Ses salles présentent des milliers d'artefacts culturels de quelque 3 600 ans d'histoire chinoise depuis la dynastie Shang. Parmi les antiquités exposées figurent des objets en bronze, des bijoux raffinés, de la porcelaine chinoise, des meubles, de la laque délicate, de l'ivoire sculpté et bien d'autres trésors inestimables.

De nombreux bâtiments dans la zone avant de Longevity Hill remplissaient une fonction bouddhiste. Parmi eux, la Tour de l'encens bouddhiste (Foxiangge) est également le plus grand bâtiment sur le terrain du Palais d'été. Il y a aussi un pavillon particulier dans cette zone qui est entièrement fait de bronze, le pavillon Baoyun (Baoyunge). Malheureusement, ce pavillon vraiment unique, également appelé "Pavillon d'or", est négligé par la plupart des visiteurs, peut-être en raison de son emplacement dans une zone relativement isolée du palais. L'une des salles de cette zone, la salle des nuages ​​dissipateurs (Paiyundian) meublée de façon festive avec son « trône aux neuf dragons », était utilisée chaque année en automne pour les célébrations de l'anniversaire de l'impératrice douairière Cixi. Cixi aimait également se promener le long de la Long Gallery (Changlang) tous les jours après le petit-déjeuner. Cette galerie de 728 mètres de long qui présente 14 000 peintures colorées sur ses poutres en bois est le plus long couloir des jardins classiques chinois. C'est maintenant une aire de repos préférée des visiteurs fatigués, car elle offre suffisamment d'espace pour s'asseoir.

La zone arrière de Longevity Hill est la partie la moins peuplée du Palais d'été mais peut-être la plus diversifiée en ce qui concerne la variété des sites. Les principales structures ici sont un temple bouddhiste de style tibétain, une rue commerçante, une zone d'étude isolée pour l'empereur et un magnifique jardin. Du complexe de temples qui porte le nom inhabituel de « quatre grandes régions », il n'est pas loin de la rue du marché de Suzhou (Suzhoujie). Cette zone a été construite pour ressembler à la zone du marché le long des rives de la rivière dans le sud de la ville de Suzhou. Il était autrefois utilisé comme un espace de divertissement où l'empereur pouvait "jouer" pour faire du shopping avec ses concubines, tout comme les gens ordinaires. Les rôles des commerçants, des marchands ambulants et des autres clients étaient alors joués par les eunuques et les servantes du palais. Plus de 60 magasins qui vendent toutes sortes de choses occupent désormais les anciens bâtiments de cette zone du Palais d'été. Le jardin des intérêts harmonieux (Xiequyuan) est situé du côté est de la colline de la longévité. Il a été créé dans le style des jardins classiques du sud de la Chine et attire les visiteurs pendant toutes les quatre saisons. Un peu à l'ouest de là, le long de la rivière Houxi (le cours d'eau arrière du lac Kunming) se trouve le Hall of Serenity (Danning Hall). C'est peut-être l'endroit le plus isolé et le plus calme du Palais d'été qui a parfaitement servi de zone d'étude pour l'empereur.

vue sur une petite zone du Palais d'été avec le sanctuaire Wusheng (cinq sages), le bateau en marbre et la colline de la longévité

Comment se rendre au Palais d'été de Pékin ?

Adresse: Palais d'été (Yiheyuan), 19 rue Xinjiangongmen
Quartier de Haidian, Pékin, Chine
Tél. : +86 10 6288 1144
Par avion: Aéroport de Pékin Nanyuan (NAY)
Aéroport international de Pékin (PEK)
Aéroport international de Pékin Daxing (PKX)
Par le train: Gare de Pékin, Gare du Sud de Pékin
Gare de Pékin Ouest
Station de métro: Gare de Beigongmen - Métro ligne 4
Prenez la sortie D et marchez vers l'ouest jusqu'à la porte du palais nord
Gare de Yiheyuanximen - Ligne de banlieue ouest
marchez vers le nord jusqu'à la porte ouest du palais
Gare de Xiyuan - Métro ligne 4 ou métro ligne 16
Prenez la sortie C2 et marchez vers l'ouest jusqu'à la porte du palais est
Arrêt de bus: Gare de Yiheyuan - East Palace Gate - (lignes de bus : 303, 331, 332, 346, 508, 579, 584)
Gare de Yiheyuan Ximen - West Palace Gate - (lignes de bus : 469, 539)
Gare de Yiheyuan Beigongmen - North Palace Gate - (lignes de bus : 303, 331, 346, 394, 563, 584, 594, ligne de bus touristique 3)
Xin Jian Gong Hommes - New Palace Gate - (lignes de bus : 74, 374, 437)

Hôtels les plus proches du Palais d'été à Pékin :

Les hôtels ci-dessous sont répertoriés par leur distance croissante du Palais d'été (Yiheyuan) à Pékin. Cliquez sur le nom de l'hôtel pour en savoir plus ou pour réserver !


La ville moderne

Après la révolution de 1911, Pékin est resté le centre politique de la République de Chine jusqu'en 1928, lorsque les nationalistes ont déplacé la capitale à Nanjing. Pékin s'est à nouveau appelé Pékin. La ville subit une pression croissante de la part des Japonais, qui fondèrent l'État fantoche du Mandchoukouo en Mandchourie en 1931. En juillet 1937, des combats éclatèrent entre les troupes chinoises et japonaises près du pont Marco Polo, au sud-ouest de la ville, Pékin fut ensuite occupé par les Japonais. jusqu'en 1945. Après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, la ville revint aux nationalistes, qui furent vaincus par les communistes lors de la guerre civile qui s'ensuivit. En 1949, avec la création de la République populaire de Chine, Pékin (avec son ancien nom restauré) a été choisie comme capitale du nouveau régime. La ville a rapidement retrouvé sa position de premier centre politique, financier et culturel de la Chine.

Dans les années 1950 et 1960, des projets de développement urbain ont élargi les rues et établi les quartiers fonctionnels qui caractérisent la ville moderne, mais les campagnes politiques culminant avec la Révolution culturelle (1966-1976) ont retardé nombre de ces projets. À partir des réformes économiques du début des années 1980, le rythme du changement s'est accéléré et Pékin a radicalement changé. De nouveaux centres commerciaux et immeubles résidentiels sont apparus dans toute la ville et des parcs industriels de haute technologie ont été créés, en particulier dans les banlieues. L'une de ces zones, surnommée la « Silicon Valley », a été développée avec le soutien du gouvernement entre les universités de Pékin et de Tsinghua. Un autre changement frappant, perceptible en particulier dans les nouveaux centres commerciaux, a été l'émergence d'une classe moyenne axée sur la consommation similaire à celle de Hong Kong, Singapour, Séoul (Corée du Sud) et d'autres villes asiatiques en pleine croissance économique. Dans le même temps, Pékin, comme d'autres villes modernes, est confrontée à des problèmes croissants de pollution de l'air, d'embouteillages et de surpopulation.

Peu de temps après l'annonce en 2001 que Pékin accueillerait les Jeux olympiques d'été de 2008, la ville s'est lancée dans un programme ambitieux de construction de sites sportifs et de logements pour les athlètes et d'amélioration des infrastructures de transport de la ville, notamment en développant considérablement le réseau de métro. Ces tâches ont été accomplies à temps pour les Jeux. En plus des constructions liées aux Jeux olympiques, une multitude d'autres immeubles de bureaux et résidentiels se sont multipliés dans Pékin, transformant considérablement l'apparence de la ville.


Palais d'été, un jardin impérial à Pékin

Le Palais d'été de Pékin, construit pour la première fois en 1750, en grande partie détruit pendant la guerre de 1860 et restauré sur ses fondations d'origine en 1886, est un chef-d'œuvre de la conception de jardins paysagers chinois. Le paysage naturel de collines et d'eau libre est combiné avec des éléments artificiels tels que des pavillons, des salles, des palais, des temples et des ponts pour former un ensemble harmonieux d'une valeur esthétique exceptionnelle.

La description est disponible sous licence CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

Palais d'Été, Jardin impérial de Pékin

Le palais d'Été de Beijing, créé en 1750, détruit en grande partie au cours de la guerre de 1860, puis restauré sur ses fondations d'origine en 1886, est un chef-d'&oeliguvre de l'art des jardins paysagers chinois . Il intègre le paysage naturel des collines et des plans d'eau à des &ecuteléments de fabrication humaine tels que pavillons, salles, palais, temples et ponts, pour en faire un ensemble harmonieux et exceptionnel du point de vue esthétique.

La description est disponible sous licence CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

الصيف، حديقة بيجينغ الإمبراطوريّة

ل الصيف الذي عام 1750 الجزء الأكبر خلال حرب العام 1860 ركائزه الأصليّة عام 1889 فنيّةً لفنّ حدائق الصين الطبيعيّة. .

source : UNESCO/ERI
La description est disponible sous licence CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

-颐和园

source : UNESCO/ERI
La description est disponible sous licence CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

Етний орец и императорский арк в Пекине

етний дворец Пекине, ервые построенный в 1750 г., сильно разрушенный о ремя войны 1860 г. и восстановленный в 1886 г., &ndash это шедевр садово-паркового искусства Китая. Естественный ландшафт холмов и открытых водоемов сочетается с искусственными объектами, такими как павильоны, залы, дворцы, храмы и мосты, что создает гармоничный ансамбль высочайшей эстетической ценности.

source : UNESCO/ERI
La description est disponible sous licence CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

Palacio de verano et jardin impérial de Pékin

Construido en 1750, destruido en su mayor parte durante la guerra de 1860 y reconstruido sobre sus cimientos en 1886, el palacio de verano de Beijing es una obra maestra del arte paisají­stico chino. Los elementos creados por el hombre &ndashpabellones, palacios, aposentos, templos y puentes&ndash se han adaptado perfectamente al paisaje natural de colinas y estanques. Esa adaptación ha dado por resultado la creación de un conjunto monumental armonioso y extraordinario en el plano estético.

source : UNESCO/ERI
La description est disponible sous licence CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0

??
Zomerpaleis, een keizerlijke tuin à Pékin

Het zomerpaleis à Pékin – voor het eerst aangelegd en 1750, tijdens de oorlog en 1860 grotendeels vernietigd en weer herbouwd en 1886 – est un meesterwerk op het gebied van Chinese landschapsarchitectuur en tuinontwerp. Het zomerpaleis omvat een gebied van bijna 3 kilomètre vierkante, waarvan het merendeel bestaat uit water. Het natuurlijke landschap van heuvels en open water is gevuld met allerlei uitbundig versierde en goed bewaarde paviljoenen, hallen, paleizen, tempels en bruggen. De keizerlijke tuin bestond uit drie gedeelten, elk met een aparte functie: politieke en administratieve activiteiten, woonverblijven en recreatie en toerisme. En 1924, werd het zomerpaleis een openbaar park.

  • Anglais
  • français
  • arabe
  • Chinois
  • russe
  • Espanol
  • Japonais
  • néerlandais
Palais d'été, un jardin impérial à Pékin (Chine) © NOTRE PLACE La collection du patrimoine mondial

Valeur universelle exceptionnelle

Brève synthèse

Le palais d'été de Pékin intègre de nombreuses salles et pavillons traditionnels dans le jardin impérial conçu par l'empereur Qing Qianlong entre 1750 et 1764 comme le jardin des ondulations claires. Utilisant le lac Kunming, l'ancien réservoir de la capitale de la dynastie Yuan et la colline de la longévité comme cadre de base, le palais d'été combinait des fonctions politiques et administratives, résidentielles, spirituelles et récréatives dans un paysage de lacs et de montagnes, conformément à la philosophie chinoise de équilibrer les œuvres de l'homme avec la nature. Détruit pendant la seconde guerre de l'opium dans les années 1850, il a été reconstruit par l'empereur Guangxu pour être utilisé par l'impératrice douairière Cixi et rebaptisé Palais d'été. Bien qu'à nouveau endommagé pendant la rébellion des Boxers en 1900, il a été restauré et est devenu un parc public depuis 1924. L'élément central de la zone administrative, la salle de la bienveillance et de la longévité, est accessible par la monumentale porte du palais est. La zone résidentielle de connexion comprend trois complexes de bâtiments : les salles du bonheur dans la longévité, les ondulations de jade et Yiyun, toutes construites contre la colline de la longévité, avec de belles vues sur le lac. Ceux-ci sont reliés par des couloirs couverts qui relient la Grande Scène à l'est et le Long Corridor à l'Ouest. Devant la salle du bonheur dans la longévité, un quai en bois permettait à la famille impériale d'accéder par voie d'eau à ses quartiers.

Les 90 % restants du jardin offrent des zones pour profiter des vues et de la contemplation spirituelle et sont agrémentés de bâtiments de jardin, notamment la tour du parfum de Bouddha, la tour des archives tournantes, le pavillon Wu Fang, le pavillon de bronze Baoyun et le hall qui Dissipe les nuages. Le lac Kunming contient trois grandes îles, correspondant à l'élément symbolique traditionnel chinois du jardin de montagne, dont la partie sud est reliée à la digue est par le pont aux dix-sept arches. Une caractéristique essentielle est la digue ouest avec six ponts de styles différents sur toute sa longueur. D'autres caractéristiques importantes comprennent des temples et des monastères de style han et tibétain situés du côté nord de la colline de la longévité et le jardin du plaisir harmonieux au nord-est.

En tant que point culminant de plusieurs centaines d'années de conception de jardins impériaux, le Palais d'été a eu une influence majeure sur l'art et la culture des jardins orientaux ultérieurs.

Critère (i): Le Palais d'été de Pékin est une expression exceptionnelle de l'art créatif de la conception de jardins paysagers chinois, incorporant les œuvres de l'homme et de la nature dans un ensemble harmonieux.

Critère (ii): Le Palais d'été incarne la philosophie et la pratique de la conception de jardins chinois, qui ont joué un rôle clé dans le développement de cette forme culturelle dans tout l'est.

Critère (iii): Le Jardin impérial chinois, illustré par le Palais d'été, est un puissant symbole de l'une des grandes civilisations mondiales.

En raison du plus haut niveau de protection que le Palais d'été a toujours reçu du gouvernement, sa conception, sa planification et son paysage d'origine ont été parfaitement préservés. De plus, le Palais d'été a entretenu une relation harmonieuse avec son environnement. Actuellement, le gouvernement a pris des mesures actives et fortes pour renforcer la protection du cadre du Palais d'été pour faire face à la pression résultant du développement urbain.

Authenticité

L'intervention de conservation et l'entretien du paysage dans la zone du bien ont été réalisés conformément aux archives historiques, en utilisant des techniques traditionnelles et des matériaux appropriés pour maintenir et transmettre les informations historiques. La préservation et l'entretien du bien ont pleinement assuré son authenticité.

Exigences de protection et de gestion

Le Palais d'été est protégé au plus haut niveau par le 1982 Loi de la RPC sur la protection des reliques culturelles (modifié en 2007), qui est élaboré dans le Règlement d'application de la loi de la République populaire de Chine sur la protection des reliques culturelles. Certaines dispositions de la Loi sur la protection de l'environnement et l'urbanisme s'appliquent également à la conservation du Palais d'été. Ces lois ont une efficacité juridique au niveau national. Le Palais d'été a été inclus par le Conseil d'État de la République populaire de Chine dans le premier groupe de sites protégés prioritaires nationaux le 4 mars 1961.

Au niveau municipal, le Palais d'été a été déclaré site protégé prioritaire par le gouvernement municipal de Pékin le 20 octobre 1957. Le Règlement de la municipalité de Pékin pour la protection des reliques culturelles (1987) renforce la protection municipale des sites patrimoniaux clés. En 1987, les limites de protection du Palais d'été ont été spécifiquement mentionnées et ordonnées d'être entreprises dans l'avis du gouvernement municipal de Pékin au Bureau municipal de planification de la construction et au Bureau des reliques culturelles sur l'approbation de la Rapport concernant la délimitation des zones de protection et des zones de contrôle des constructions du deuxième groupe de 120 vestiges culturels sous protection. Le plan directeur du Palais d'été sur la protection et la gestion est en cours d'élaboration et sera présenté au Comité du patrimoine mondial dès qu'il sera terminé. Pendant ce temps, la construction dans les zones environnantes a également été soumise à un contrôle restrictif.

Le Bureau de gestion du Palais d'été de Pékin est responsable de la gestion du patrimoine du Palais d'été depuis sa création en 1949. Aujourd'hui, parmi ses plus de 1500 employés, 70% sont des professionnels. Il comprend 30 sections responsables de la conservation du patrimoine culturel, du jardinage, de la sécurité, de la construction et de la protection. Des règlements et des plans d'urgence ont été stipulés. À l'heure actuelle, la protection du Palais d'été fonctionne bien. Dans le cadre de protection global établi par les gouvernements central et locaux, la protection et la gestion du Palais d'été seront effectuées conformément à des plans et programmes de conservation stricts et périodiques. La gestion scientifique et la protection s'effectuent sur la base des informations issues d'un suivi de plus en plus sophistiqué.


Palais d'été


Emplacement:
District de Haidian, dans la banlieue nord-ouest de Pékin (à 15 km du centre-ville), municipalité de Pékin
Horaire d'ouverture: 07h00-17h00 (1er novembre - 31 mars, basse saison touristique)
06h30-18h00 (1er avril - 31 octobre, haute saison touristique)
Informations croisière :
- Quais : Pavillon Bafang (八方亭), Pavillon Wenchang (文昌阁), Salle des ondulations de jade (玉澜堂), Salle de la dissipation des nuages ​​(排云殿), Pavillon Shizhang (石丈亭), la statue du bœuf de bronze (铜牛) , le bateau de marbre (石舫), South Lake Island (南湖岛)
- Bateaux disponibles : bateau à rames, bateau à batterie, cycle de l'eau, bateau en forme de dragon, bateaux de plaisance à grande échelle ainsi que bateaux affrétés.
- Temps de location de bateau : 08h00-17h00 (jour) 18h00-22h00 (nuit)
Comment se rendre au Palais d'été :
- Métro: prendre la ligne 4 et descendre à Bei Gong Men (北宫门 North Palace Gate) ou descendre à Xiyuan Station (西苑站, sortie C2) et marcher 500 mètres vers l'ouest jusqu'à voir Gong Gong Men (东宫门 East Palace Gate, l'entrée principale du Palais d'été).
- Autobus: 74, 209, 303, 319, 320, 330, 331 332, 333 (routes intérieure et extérieure de l'anneau), 346, 374, 375, 384, 394, 432, 437, 438, 469, 498, 539, 628, 664, 683, 690, 696, 704, 716, 718, 726, 732, 737, 801, 808, 817, 826, 904, 905, 907 et 952.
Meilleur moment pour visiter : Septembre. Les paysages de neige en hiver sont également parmi les plus magnifiques.
Heure recommandée pour une visite : de 1h30 à une demi-journée, pas moins !


La retraite impériale d'été des empereurs et le plus grand jardin de Chine

Le Palais d'été, également appelé "Yi He Yuan" (颐和园) qui signifie littéralement "le jardin de la paix reposante" en chinois, est l'un des sites pittoresques les plus visités avec la Cité Interdite, le Temple du Ciel ou la Grande Muraille de Pékin. Immense garden at a few kilometers away from the city, the Summer Palace holds its name to perfection as this was where emperors and the imperial family used to retreat at summer time, away from the heat that was burning the Forbidden City. This ancient royal garden is beautifully composed of palaces, temples, gardens, pavilions, lakes and corridors fully radiating the natural beauty and the grandeur of imperial gardens. As the largest garden in China, the Summer Palace is today the center of interests of all tourists coming to visit Beijing and its many cultural and historical relics. Looking like a part of Heaven after visiting the turmoil of Beijing city center, the Summer Palace is the place where to have a rest to discover the amazing architecture of the park invented hundred of years ago during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).

History around the Summer Palace

The Summer Palace started to be constructed in 1750 under the orders of Emperor Qianlong (1735-1796). Originally called "The Garden of Clear Ripples" (清漪园Qing Yi Yuan) the garden was considerably enlarged and embellished after the gigantesque work of the 100 000 laborers who worked on this imperial retreat for years. Like during many other historical events, the garden burned down with the invasion of Anglo-French troops in 1860 during the Second Opium War (1856-1860). That was just after the reconstruction of the garden under Empress Dowager Cixi's reign in 1888 that the garden was renamed the "Summer Palace". Being a place inspiring peace and harmony, the Summer Palace progressively started to be the permanent residence of the Imperial family that constructed pavilions and other small parts of the actual park that we can visit today. Burnt down a second time in 1900 after the Boxer Rebellion (1898-1901) and reconstructed another time, the Summer Palace was opened to public in 1924. This was only in 1998 that the great beauty of the garden was revealed after the recognition of the site as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage as well as a National 5A Tourist Spot of China.

Features of the Summer Palace

The Summer Palace is China's largest and most grandiose garden ever constructed. Covering an area of 2,9 km 2 , three quarters of which are covered of water, the palace is composed of over 3000 ancient structures including pavilions, towers, bridges and corridors. The Summer Palace is composed of 3 main areas:

- The Palace Area (for administration): is where ancient emperors used to take care of state affairs. There stands the Hall of Benevolence and Longevity (仁寿殿), where Empress Dowager Cixi held court behind a screen in most of the time of her late years.

- The Residence Area (for living): Jade Ripples Hall (玉澜堂), Hall of Joyful Longevity Hall (乐寿堂) and Yiyun Hall (宜芸馆)constitute the main bodies of this area where emperors and the royal family used to live during summer.

- The Tour Area (for relaxation): landscapes, buildings, flowers and plants appreciated by the royal family for its peaceful atmosphere.

All the Summer Palace spreads across the low hills and lakes among which the Longevity Hill (万寿山), and Kunming Lake (昆明湖) are the most important parts. Travelers visiting the site today have the opportunity to wander in the wonderful buildings and courtyards beside the lake and along the waterways. Arched bridges, promenades, decorated corridors and breezeways, an ever-changing scenery is waiting for visitors!

What to see in The Summer Palace today?

When visiting the Summer Palace, visitors should plan between one hour and a half to half a day for the site is really huge. Indeed, there are so many things to see in the palace that you will feel time spending quickly, realizing how life spent smoothly for emperors during their summer retreat. Involving plenty of walking, the Summer Palace is the place where experiencing different activities on top of little promenades.

Riding a little boat for seeing the lake areas, watching a traditional Chinese dance performance at the Palace's Theatre or doing some shopping in the many traditional shops by the river&hellipthe Summer Palace is without any contests the lovelier scenic spot in Beijing city. Though not fully opened to the public, some interesting buildings can be visited flourishing with many ancient designs and decorations. Clearly, the park is divided into 4 several sections that are the Court Area, the Front-Hill Area, the Longevity Hill Area and the Kunming Lake Area. In the park, an integrated transport hub is at the disposal of visitors who may first stop at the Kunming Lake and Longevity Hill.

The Court Area is located in the northeast of the park, spreading from the East Palace Gate to the northeast coast of Kunming Lake. It is remembered as the place where the famous (though terrific) Empress Dowager Cixi (ruling from 1861-1908) and Emperor Guangxu (1875-1908) used to reside, conducting state affairs though away from central Beijing and the Forbidden City. This area of the park is where seeing numbers of Halls and courtyards displaying the exact same architecture than other imperial places: a palace in the front and the garden behind it.

The East Palace Gate

Called "Dong Gong Men" (东宫门) in Chinese, the East Palace Gate is the major entrance to the Summer Palace with two side doors: the main door in the middle exclusively reserved to emperors, empresses and queen mothers and the side one for officials. The road leading to the entrance for emperors is chiseled with two relief dragons playing with a ball: a symbol of Chinese imperial dignity.

Upon entering the Gate, visitors will be impressed by the three big and vigorous characters meaning the Summer Palace in Chinese: 颐和园 (Yi He Yuan). It is said to be the handwriting of Emperor Guangxu who ruled the country from 1875 to 1908 under the supervision of Empress Dowager Cixi. The origin of these 3 characters is the center of a story passed for years from generation to generation. Indeed, during the restoration of the Summer Palace, craftsmen asked for Emperor Guangxu's own writing on the plaque to be disposed at the entrance of the Summer Palace. Pleased to accept their request, Emperor Guangxu wrote the three words of "颐和园". Angry at its nephew's calligraphy, Empress Dowager Cixi ordered to take off the characters, forcing then Guangxu to realize his bad writing and start to take lessons of calligraphy. After earnest efforts, the emperor finally succeeded in writing the characters in a proper way, using just one stroke. Satisfactory work, his writing is now to be admired at the East Palace Gate.

True or not, the characters at the entrance give to the Summer Palace a spiritual and forceful meaning showing the great sceneries and historical relics that are to be discovered in the park. By entering the East Palace Gate, visitors are walking into the state affairs and administrative area of emperors.

The Hall of Benevolence and Longevity

The Hall of Benevolence and Longevity (仁寿殿, Ren Shou Dian) is the first architectural complex to be seen by visitors when entering the site. Built in 1750 but burned down in 1860 by the Anglo-French forces, it was reconstructed in 1888 under the rule of Empress Dowager Cixi and Emperor Guangxu. This hall was originally called "Qinzheng Hall" to inspire rulers to manage state affairs diligently. However, during Emperor Guangxu's time (1875-1908), the hall's name was changed to the Hall of Benevolence and Longevity due to the famous Confucian saying: "The ruler who reigns benevolently will have a long life".

In front of the hall stand bronze phoenixes and dragons of a great beauty. In the courtyard, 4 unusual stones dark in color and with holes, represent the four seasons of the year such as in many other Imperial buildings where symbolism was used a lot to express Emperor's rule coming from the Heaven's decision. In the hall, several items can be admired such as a throne, a wall screen, some decorative fans made of peacock feather, incense burners, crane-shaped lights, etc&hellip Exceptional among this list, the wall screen is a curiosity for it has 9 dragons and 226 times the Chinese character "Longevity" (寿), written in different styles. Located at the north of the Hall is the Well of Prolonging Life (延年井Yan Nian Jing) that is said to have saved Empress Dowager Cixi's life after she caught a sunstroke.

The Garden/Hall of Virtue and Harmony

The Garden of Virtue and Harmony (德和园 De He yuan) is where the Emperors and the Empress Dowager Cixi were used to be entertained. Performances of the Peking opera and many other theatrical shows were used to be held there for the pleasure and entertainment of the Imperial family. This garden consists of the Grand Theater Building, the Hall of Nurtured Joy, and the Dressing House.

The theatre building, 21 meters high (69 feet) and 17 meters wide (56 feet), consists of three stories stages with colorful and multiple eaves elegantly raised on every corners. From top to bottom, there are: The Fu Stage (Happiness Stage), The Lu Stage (Affluence Stage), and The Shou Stage (Longevity Stage).

Some inventive raise catwalks in the ceilings and a winch on the top of the floor are present, an ingenuous design that could create an impression of movement to the performers. Each stage was made of trapdoors. A well and pond is located beneath the Shou Stage (Longevity Stage) for it could suddenly come out creating a water scene as well as amplify a sound effect thanks to acoustic resonance. The lighting and sound systems heighten the whole effect.

Today, the garden is converted into an exhibition hall to display the daily utensils used by the Imperial family, including bronze wares, porcelains, jade articles and other precious objects.

The Hall of Joyful Longevity

This Hall was one of the first constructed under the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799) in order to make it a residence for his mother. Located at the northeast of the Summer Palace near to the Kunming Lake, the building unfortunately burnt down after the Anglo-French occupation in the 1860s, and was restored under Empress Dowager Cixi. The Empress took a real pleasure in spending her time in this Hall with her 48 attendants and a retinue of over a thousand people accompanying her inside the Summer Palace. Called Le Shou Tang (乐寿堂) in Chinese, the name has not been given without hazard as this is a tribute to the Analects of Confucius. Indeed, saying that "persons with wisdom are joyous, with benevolence longevous", the Emperor followed the rule looking for the longest reign on Earth for he was said to be the Son of the Heaven.

The Hall is where seeing a well-decorated throne, fans, copper incense burners, desk and rosewood inlaid shell carving glass screen. Porcelain tracing back from the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) is also to be seen, a cultural relic that ranks as one of the most precious in China. On the ceiling of the Hall is a colorful pendant lamp that has been imported from Germany in 1903. At the east of the hall stands the inner chamber in and bedroom of Empress Cixi at the west, the dressing room and at the behind it all the place where maid servants waited for order. When passing through the front gate, visitors will find themselves directing to the Kunming Lake, where boats were and still are docked. Finally, the Hall of Joyful Longevity is also composed of a small courtyard garden in which Emperors used to relax as well as impress visitors. Filled with flowers of any kinds representing peace, prosperity and having also the power to cure diseases, the garden was a great pride of the Court Area.

The Hall of Jade Ripples

The Hall of Jade Ripples, also called "Sanhe yuan" for it was a hint at the Jin Dynasty verse (265-316): "Jade spring with rippling water" is one of the most impressive place that had an important role in History. Built in 1726, under the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799), the building burnt down like many others during periods of evil, but was restored later on. Known as a place notable for its seclusion and harmonious arrangement, the Hall of Jade Ripples started to have another function after 1898, when The Hundred Days Reform led by Emperor Guangxu failed. Indeed, the reform aiming at reforming the outdated feudal system by creating a new edict had received a sharp disagreement from Empress Dowager Cixi that arrested Emperor Guangxu and placed him in the Hall of Jade Ripples, secluded from the outside world. Symbolic act of this disagreement was the separation of the two rocks located in front of the Hall that used to represent Cixi and Guangxu.

During his long life confinement, Guangxu used to live between his day room and his bedchamber. The chamber, located at the east of the Hall is a cozy one. Facing it, the day room is still today where seeing the Emperor's desk made of rosewood and decorated with exquisite carvings.

The Yiyun House/Hall

Last Empress of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), Empress Longyu, wife of Emperor Guangxu used to live in the Yiyuan Hall. Not beloved by her husband who preferred to spend more times with his concubines, the Empress passed her lonely days in that house located to the north of the Hall of Jade Ripples. Built during the reign of Emperor Qianlong and repaired in the reign of Emperor Guangxu, this literally "convenient to collect and read books" hall is embodying to perfection the elegance and knowledge of Empress Longyun.

Constructed in traditional Chinese "Siheyuan (四合院)" style, the Yiyun Hall is composed of 5 front rooms, 3 back rooms, 5 eastern affiliated rooms (Dao Cun Zhai) and 5 western affiliated rooms (Jin Xi Xuan), the affiliated being home to the Emperors' concubines in summer time. All the rooms are filled with splendid curiosities such as furnitures, precious stones and flower patterns cupboard.

Though located near to the lodging of Emperor Guangxu, the Yiyun Hall was not that accessible by the Emperor after the Reform Movement. Another confinement preventing him to enjoy his time seeing his different lovers.

2. Longevity Hill Area

The Longevity Hall is definitely the most magnificent area in the Summer Palace. Area where stand most of the buildings tracing back from the Qing Dynasty, its architecture is a curiosity for it follows an east-west symmetry where many buildings and gardens are to appreciate:

The Longevity Hill

Originally called the Wengshan Hill, the marvelous Longevity Hill was renamed by Emperor Qianlong in 1752, during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), at the time he ordered the construction of the garden. Of a 60 meters high (196.9 feet), the Hill is surrounded by many houses and buildings where relaxing among a gorgeous natural beauty.

At the foot of the front Hill, stands an ancient-style archway making the main entrance for climbing the hill. On the way up to the top, visitors may see the major buildings neatly ordered along a north-south ascending axis:

- The Gate of Dispelling Clouds (Paiyunmen)
- The Second Palace Gate (Ergongmen)
- The Hall of Dispelling Clouds (Paiyundian)
- The Hall of Moral Glory (Dehuidian)
- The Tower of Buddhist Incense (Foxiangge)
- The Hall of the Sea of Wisdom: on top of the hill

Mainly concentrated on the front hill, buildings are also present in the back such as the noteworthy miniature Potala Palace building in Tibetan lamasery style.

The Baoyun Pavilion

Located at the west of the Tower of Buddhist Incense (Foxiangge) on Longevity Hill, stands the Baoyun Pavilion (Baoyunge). Made of bronze, the building is often referred to as the "Golden Pavilion", one of China's three best preserved bronze buildings still existing today in the country. The architecture of the Baoyun Pavilion is something to pay attention to as it is a double-eaved roof of a 7.55 meters high imposing itself near to the Longevity Hill. Every single part of the pavilion is a curiosity for it is delicately carved and ornate with bright colors, bright marble in Buddhist style, pillars, tiles and bells.

During the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1736-1795), Lamas coming from Tibet stopped in the Summer Palace and this exact pavilion to pray for the Imperial family on the 1 st and 15 th day of each lunar month, especially during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1912). Buddha figures used to be hung on the brackets during ceremonies. In order to pay tribute to the people who casted the pavilion, their names have been engraved on the inner wall (Hanzhong, Yangguozhu, Gaoyonggu and Zhangcheng). Great method tracing back from China oldest ancient times, the casting savoir faire is one of the most precious building methods consisting in casting every single component separately. Surviving many fires, wars and calamities, the Baoyun Pavilion is a jewel around which a mystery developed after the thefts of 10 bronze windows weighing around 100 kilos each, unfound for around 70 years and suddenly reappearing, blackmailing the government to pay for money to see the windows again. Back to there original place after 90 years, the mystery over their original theft is still on today.

The Long Corridor/Gallery

The Long Corridor is a 728 meters long (796.2 yards) gallery linking the Longevity Hill to the Kunming Lake. Longest corridor gallery in China, the building was even ranked as the longest one in the whole world in 1990. Used as a perfect promenade along the lakes, the Long corridor is a unique art gallery, featuring more than 14,000 pictures of landscapes, flowers, birds, human figures and stories on its beams and ceilings. Real carrier of China's ancient history, the corridor is giving an additional touch to the place surrounded by an amazing natural scenery. Smart connecter and primary route for visiting the whole garden, the Long corridor is a must see building in the Summer Palace.

The Hall of Dispelling Clouds

The Hall of Dispelling Clouds (排云殿Pai Yun Dian) is one of the most typical buildings of the Summer Palace. Red columns, golden yellow tiles roof and white marble balusters adorned with bronze dragons, phoenixes and vessels. Inside the hall, a throne is to be seen surrounded by a screen, incense burners and some fans. Ancient and elegant, the screen is an enamelwork embedded in a red backing. Together with the adjoining wing halls, the Hall of Dispelling Clouds has 21 rooms all of which are connected by cloisters.

Although the treasures on display inside are fewer than those in the Hall of Benevolence and Longevity, some of them are more valuable. Indeed, the beautiful middle rosewood throne with a dragon-in-clouds design, gorgeous sculpture, and fluid lines, is regarded as an awe-inspiring work of art. Each sides of the throne is surrounded by articles shaped in the Chinese character "寿" (shou), meaning longevity.

To the south of the Hall of Dispelling Clouds, visitors can direct themselves to the Gate of Dispelling Clouds located in the middle of the Long Corridor, dividing the corridor from east to west. The usual bronze lions standing on each sides of the door are symbolizing protection, and 12 stone statues of the Chinese zodiac animals: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig, the Imperial devotion to the universal system and the Heaven.

The Tower of Buddhist Incense

Symbol of the Summer Palace, the Tower of Buddhist Incense (佛香阁Fo Xiang Ge) is an elaborate work of Chinese classical architecture. Located on a hill in the center of the Summer Palace with buildings distributed symmetrically around its base, the tower is of a 40 meters height (131 feet), three-storied with 8 facades and quadruple-layered eaves, the whole supported by 8 pillars of lignum vitae wood: one of the most complicated structure ever realized.

Noteworthy building in the vicinity of the Tower of Buddhist Incense is the Precious Cloud Pavilion (宝云阁Bao Yun Ge) located to the west of the tower. In order to enjoy a panoramic view of the area, travelers are invited to climb up to the tower.

As an Imperial worshipping tower, it enshrines a Buddha made in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and called "the Buddha with One Thousand Hands and Eyes". Elegant and dignified, the statue is 5 meters high (16 feet) with 12 heads and 24 arms. Empress Dowager Cixi used to burn incense and pray in the tower on the 1 st and 15 th days of every lunar month.

The Hall of the Sea of Wisdom

The Hall of the Sea Wisdom (智慧海 Zhi Hui Hai) is the Summer Palace's building that symbolizes the mighty force and the infinite wisdom of Tathagada Buddha. Built on the pinnacle of the Longevity Hill, the Hall has been designed to stand at the upper end of an axis stretching from the Kunming Lake to the summit. When initially built during the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799), it was a 2-storied building entirely made of colored glaze bricks, without any timber beams: a realization known as the "No Beam Hall". Thanks to its timber-free frame, the hall survived the fire set by the Anglo-French allied force in 1860 although the holy statue of Amitayus Buddha, as well as 1008 smaller engraved Buddhas surrounding it, were destroyed.

Moreover, the Hall of the Sea of Wisdom is also where the worship of the Goddess of Mercy (Kuanyin) is occurring. Sitting straightly in the lotus throne with a jade pure bottle in one hand and willow leaves in the other, the statue is surrounded by other noteworthy relics such as the statues of Manjusri and Samantabhadra which are said to have been cast in the reign of the Emperor Qianlong. Visitors having some time visiting the hall will be impressed by the three characters written on the architraves of the hall for they form the Buddhist's chant: a real journey to spiritualism.

The Back Lake

Passing the Marble Boat toward the north and behind the Longevity Hill, the Kunming Lake is the part of the park narrowing significantly and forming the Back Lake (后湖Hou Hu). Covered with many structures and surrounded by water, the lake is a calm and cool place where taking some rest after the turmoil of Beijing city.

The Back Lake, called that way for it is secluded and quiet, wandering its way varying in width and rendering a great deal of fun and amusement. Little area representing the most famous areas of China, the Back Lake is a jewel of history. In the western section, peculiar huge rocks perched on the banks are a vivid representation of the marvelous scenery of the Three Gorges of the Yangtze River. The section in the middle of the lake is characterized by the Suzhou Market Street with shops lining on both banks, a unique scene of the Water Town south of the Yangtze River. This tranquil lake ends at the Garden of Harmonious Interests which serves as a grandiose epilogue.

The Suzhou Market Street

The Suzhou Market Street (Suzhou jie) is located behind the Longevity Hill, in the middle section of the Back Lake. The Market is a great interest, as the lake serves as the street with the stalls and shops on its banks. It has all the features of other market streets in Suzhou, a famous Water Town of China. The ancient-style street, about 300 meters long (328 yards), transports the tourist back to the mid-18th century of China.

Originally built during the reign of Emperor Qianglong (1711-1799), the function of the market was to give to the Emperor and his Empress and concubines the experience of shopping in the Water Town. At that time, the eunuchs would act as clerks and shopkeepers, lending an air of realism to the experience. Over 60 old-styled stores, including restaurants, teahouses, pawn shops, banks, drugstores, clothing shops, dyers and publishing houses line the banks. The storekeepers, shop assistants, boaters and policemen on patrol are all dressed in traditional costumes of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).

The Garden of Harmonious Interests

Located beside the Kunming Lake, at the bottom eastern side of the Longevity Hill, the Garden of Harmonious Interests is of an exquisite design and distinctive layout a reason for its name as the "garden amongst the gardens of China". Indeed, its style is the most representative of the classical gardens of Southern China.

The idea of creating such a place came after Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799) conducted an inspection in South China in 1751. Coming back to Beijing, the Emperor developed a great affection for the Jichuang yuan Gardens in the city of Wuxi (Jiangsu Province). He then ordered that a similar garden be built in the Summer Palace, naming it the Huishan Garden, the precursor to the actual Garden of Harmonious Interests (1811). The garden was rebuilt in 1893 after some destruction.

Upon entering the Garden of Harmonious Interests, visitors are greeted by a magic panorama. Surrounded by slopes and with a lotus pond at its centre, the garden is comprised of 7 pavilions, 5 halls, numerous corridors and small bridges, all arranged with elegance. Noteworthy highlight to pay attention to is the reflection of all these typically Chinese sceneries into the pristine water of the pond. In ancient times, the pond was the fishing site of Empress Dowager Cixi. Funny history about the Empresse's taste for fishing as that every time Her Majesty went to fish, her eunuchs secretly dived into the water to hung live fish on her hook, in order to keep her in a relatively good spirit.

But what is exceptional about the Garden of Harmonious Interests is the 8 interests that can be enjoyed all around, developed as below:

- Interest of Seasons
- Interest of Pavilion
- Interest of Water
- Interest of Painting
- Interest of Bridge
- Interest of Corridor
- Interest of Calligraphy
- Interest of Imitation

Like many other natural sites, the beauty of the garden is changing along with seasons. Whether in summer, spring, autumn or winter time, the garden is still gorgeous for the pleasure of visitors worldwide. Water is maybe the element that is the most present in Chinese traditional gardens. The Garden of Harmonious interests is following the rule as many falls, and ponds give birth to winding streams where life is developing and wonderful sounds give a feeling of relaxation. Spanning the water with different styles, the bridges that can be admired in this part of the Summer Palace are parts of the historical and cultural relics tracing back from the ancient dynasties. The Xushi Path stele and stone inscription in the Moyun Room are also elements of interest for they ad to the park a painting dimension never seen anywhere else. Pavilions and corridors of different colors and architectural styles give to the scenery the typical Chinese sights that many of us are looking for when travelling to China.

Every single angle of the park is to discover. Harmonious and relaxing, the Garden of Harmonious interests is the perfect name for the most perfect garden China has ever been listing. A reason for understanding now why the Summer Palace has been listed to UNESCO!

3. Kunming lac Zone

The Kunming Lake area is the most famous part of the Summer Palace. Covering the larger part of the Palace, this is where Emperors and Empresses used to relax and enjoy the cool climate of the park away from the hit putting Beijing on fire at summer time. Unique vistas among all that can be see in the park, the Kunming lake is paying tribute to natural beauty and inspiring relaxation and quietness to those having the chance to spend some times on its banks discovering its many highlights.

The Bronze Ox

The Bronze Ox is one of the most famous attractions of the Lake set on bluestone wave-lined pedestal, overlooking the east shore of the Kunming Lake. The reason for an ox presence in the park can appeal to reflection but for history, the ox is said in Chinese believes to have to power to control floods: a major cause of death in ancient China. Around the bronze ox developed the legend that the master of floods prevention: Da Yu, after completion of any of his projects would put an iron ox into the water for preventing the area or region from flood disasters. Customary since the Tang Dynasty (618-907), oxen are since then lined at the edge of waterways.

Originally, the bronze ox was set there by Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799). Adopting a realistic approach, the ox has become an integral part of the surrounding environment. It is the largest of its kind in China, reflecting the high casting level of ancient China.

Seventeen-Arch Bridge

Connecting the eastern shore of the Kunming Lake to the Nanhu Island in the west, the Seventeen-Arch Bridge is a major attraction of the Kunming Lake. With a length of 150 meters (164 yards) and a width of 8 meters (8.75 yards), it is the longest bridge in the Summer Palace, built during the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1711-1799). Highly inspired from other famous Chinese bridges such as the Lugou Bridge in Beijing and Baodai Bridge in Suzhou (Zhejiang Province), the Seventeen-Arch Bridge looks like a rainbow arching over the water. 544 distinctive white marble lions are carved on the column of the parapets with a bizarre beast on each end of the bridge.

An interesting legend connecting to the construction of this bridge can be noticed. Coming to the court to sell his "Longmen stone", a poor old man didn't receive any attention from the people who started to despise him because of his poor looking. Waiting for a buyer, the old man sat beside a tree but the rain forced him to shelter in some places. Kindly advised and sheltered by a man, the old man offered his Longmen Stone as a gift to his host to thank him, and returned home. Years after the beginning of the construction of the Seventeen-Arch Bridge, just one stone was missing but no one could find nor design the appropriate shape. Remembering about the old man, people started to look for him in the vicinity but just found the exact stone given years ago to the host. Fitting perfectly, the stone completed the construction of the bridge that could start to be used by the Emperor. Since then, the old man is believed to be the incarnation of Luban, ancestor of carpenters, who came to help people build the imperial bridge.

Nanhu Island

The Nanhu Island (南湖岛South Lake Island) is the largest one among the three islands of the Kunming Lake. This over one hectare (2.5 acres) island is located in the southeast of the lake, connected to the east bank by the Seventeen-Arch Bridge. Originally, the island and the whole Kunming Lake were artificial for thousands of workers designed it, excavating the lake thus making the island emerging from the earth and water. The whole island is edged by huge stones and enclosed with carved stone fences. Seen from the distance, the island together with the Seventeen-Arch Bridge look like a tortoise stretching its neck. Symbol of longevity in Chinese culture, the tortoise was a beloved animal for Emperors and especially Emperor Qianlong, who originally built this garden in the name of his mother's 60 th birthday.

On the island, two main buildings make the highlights of the site: the Hanxu Hall and the Dragon King Temple. The Hanxu Hall is the shelter where Empress Dowager Cixi inspected the navy drill. Every time she came to the Summer Palace, she made a stop-over for worshiping at the temple, using a boat to reach the holy island.

Marble Boat

Maybe one of the most remarkable buildings that visitors notice when visiting the Summer Palace, the Marble Boat (Shifang) is a structure tracing back from Emperor Qianlong's reign (1711-1799). Located at the west end of the Long Corridor gallery, the boat was built in 1755 but the fires set during the Anglo-French occupation destroyed its superstructure. Empress Dowager Cixi's general reconstruction of the Kingdom's ancient buildings saved the memory of the original boat although rebuilt in an imitation of western-style yachts. Some wood subassemblies hidden through a marble texture are present in the boat, although called "Marble Boat".

Behind the creation of that boat lies an interesting story telling a lot about emperors' way of thinking the world and the management of the country. Indeed, the boat was constructed after the Tang Dynasty (618-907) minister Wei Zheng told the Emperor these words: "The waters that bear the boat are the same that swallow it up". Reading between the lines, the Emperor understood the comparison of the boat to the Emperor and the waters to the people. The saying turned into a real advice that the Emperor should care about his people for they can overthrow him. In order to make the reign of the Qing Dynasty the longest as possible, he ordered the creation of a firm boat made of stone that cannot be overturned by the waters.


Looted Treasure Returned to Beijing's Old Summer Palace

After its looting 160 years ago, an iconic horse-head bronze statue was returned on Tuesday, December 1 to the Old Summer Palace (Yuanmingyuan) in Beijing’s Haidian district.

The horse-head is one of 12 statues that depict Chinese zodiac animals. It was designed by Italian artist Giuseppe Castiglione and made by royal craftsmen.

The statue was donated by the late Hong Kong-Macao tycoon Stanley Ho who passed away earlier this year. It was in the possession of the National Cultural Heritage Administration (NCHA) before being recently handed over to the Old Summer Palace.

The Old Summer Palace served as an imperial garden between 1709 and 1860. It gained a reputation as the ‘garden of gardens’ thanks to its plethora of palaces, gardens and treasures.

In 1860, British and French colonial forces destroyed many of the garden’s structures and looted its treasures. This included the horse-head bronze statue. Many other treasures remain on display in museums around the world. Selon China Daily, “It is the first time that a lost important cultural relic from Yuanmingyuan has been returned to and housed at its original location after being repatriated from overseas.”

The Old Summer Palace is etched into the collective memory of many in China. For many Chinese citizens, Yuanmingyuan is symbolic of colonialism and China’s so-called ‘national humiliation.’

In October of this year, the Old Summer Palace marked the 160th anniversary of the looting. On October 18, visitors could enter the palace free of charge.

Many who took advantage of the free entry were eager to point out the importance of the anniversary and not to forget China’s ‘national shame.’ Ms. Liu, an art teacher, took her students to the Old Summer Palace for a painting activity. She told Temps mondial that she hoped her students could appreciate the historical significance of the ruins. Many of China’s netizens were equally keen to point out the anniversary’s importance.

Over RMB10 million (USD1.52 million) has been spent on improving facilities to safely store the treasure. The statue will be displayed permanently in the Zhengjue Temple of the Old Summer Palace.


Lord Elgin and the Burning of the Summer Palace

In October 1860, writes E.W.R. Lumby, a humane and liberal-minded British emissary felt obliged to order an act of vandalism in Peking.

The letters and journals of James, Eighth Earl of Elgin, show a man constantly preoccupied with the harm that, in his eyes, the western nations, and the British in particular, were doing to the ancient civilizations of the East a man highly sensitive to the injustices of his country’s policy and to the arrogance and inhumanity that he thought he saw in his compatriots.

Yet Elgin’s two missions to China are chiefly remembered for the event in which they culminated—the burning of the Summer Palace at Peking in October 1860. How did it come about that a man of his temperament and opinions should have been responsible for an act so often quoted as an example of vandalism, of Victorian arrogance and insensitivity at their worst?

To Elgin the East was “abominable, not so much in itself, as because it is strewed all over with the records of our violence and fraud, and disregard of right.”

On his way to China in 1857, he wrote of Egypt: “I suppose that France and England, by their mutual jealousies, will be the means of perpetuating the abominations of the system under which that magnificent country is ruled.”

Pour continuer à lire cet article, vous devrez acheter un accès aux archives en ligne.

Si vous avez déjà acheté l'accès, ou si vous êtes abonné aux archives print &, veuillez vous assurer que vous êtes connecté.


Peking’s Summer Palace destroyed - HISTORY

Category of Site: Cultural Site

Brief introduction

The Summer Palace, originally named Qingyi Yuan, or the Garden of Clear Ripples, was an imperial garden constructed in 1750 by Emperor Qianlong in a bid to celebrate his mother's birthday. During the past few centuries, emperors and empresses spent their leisure time there, which is of great aesthetic value today.

The site in Beijing is an outstanding expression of the creative art of Chinese landscape garden design, incorporating the works of man and nature in a harmonious manner.

The Summer Palace was added to the list in November 1998.

The Summer Palace was first built in 1750 and largely destroyed in the war of 1860, then restored on its original foundation in 1886. It served four generations of the imperial family, and is now a popular resort for people from all walks of life.

The palace is an outstanding example of imperial parks and private gardens with features of both northern and southern China, and is the best preserved of all Chinese imperial parks. It integrates the natural landscape of hills and open water with manmade features, such as pavilions, halls, palaces, temples and bridges, into a harmonious and aesthetically exceptional whole.

The Summer Palace covers an area of 290 hectares, three-fourths of it being water. Its garden is divided into three sectors: the official sector, the private sector and the landscape sector. The imperial palaces are in the eastern part of the Summer Palace. The main structures in this area include the Hall of Benevolence and Longevity (Renshoudian), also known as the Hall of Industrious Government (Qinzhengdian), its side halls and offices for ministers. The private sector is composed of three large courtyards, focusing respectively on the Hall of Jade Ripples (Yulantang), the Hall of Happiness and Longevity (Leshoutang) and the Yiba Hall.

Cultural Heritage

Diversified architectural elements in the Summer Palace annotate the evolution of China as an integral country of many ethnic groups. For example, Kunming Lake is largely an imitation of West Lake in Hangzhou, East China's Zhejiang province. The long causeway to the west of the lake is called the West Dike, modeled after the Su Dongpo Causeway on West Lake. A series of six bridges on the dike are very similar to the six bridges on West Lake.

The large group of temples on Longevity Hill, including the Pavilion of the Fragrance of Buddha (Foxiangge), is typical of the architecture of Tibetan Buddhism. They were built in imitation of the Temple of Common Peace (Puningsi) and similar temples in the Chengde Mountain Resort, which were built at the same time.

The Long Corridor

The Long Corridor is the longest garden corridor in China, and one of the oldest structures in the Summer Palace. It is a covered promenade running for 728 meters along the northern shore of Kunming Lake and connecting with a row of buildings at the foot of Longevity Hill.

Besides the spectacular view of more than 8,000 paintings in traditional Chinese style that illustrates a large span of Chinese history and literature, the Long Corridor is also remarkable in its quake-proof function. According to historical records, over the past 251 years, although the slim and winding Long Corridor has suffered numerous storms, strong winds and even earthquakes, it has never tilted or been undermined.


Voir la vidéo: 颐和园 纪录片 Summer Palace, Beijing, Le Palais dété (Octobre 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos